Initially published in 2001
Is routine getting you down? Do you feel tired and listless? Is it hard to remember the last time you felt great? Let today be the first great day of the rest of your life. Simply follow these tips, give yourself a break and have a great day! Remember, whenever you decide to have a great day, go with what you feel. Break the usual routines. Dress in loose, comfortable clothes. Leave your watch off and do whatever makes you feel good. Having a great day means taking time to fulfill and express yourself on all levels: emotional, mental and physical.
1. Wake up if possible without the use of an alarm. This might mean going to bed slightly earlier than usual. When you wake up this way, your body will have completed its own natural sleep cycle and you will feel relaxed and refreshed. Get out of bed slowly.
2. Drink 1-2 large glasses of room temperature to warm water. It’s perfect for hydrating your body and cleansing your colon, kidneys and other vital organs.
3. Take 10-15 minutes to sit and be still outside (if it’s a pleasant day) or by the window (if you have to be indoors). Take long slow deep breathes from the bottom of your stomach. Let thoughts come and go. Feel the calm, peace and magic of you.
4. Follow with 5 minutes of positive affirmations to lift your moods and to create positive reality. Say them slowly and clearly in your mind twice. Try the following and make up other positive affirmations of your own:
- I am a free and powerful being.
- I let go easily of all I no longer need.
- My body clears, balances and heals itself.
- I love myself completely without condition.
5. Eat a variety of healthy foods, things that make you feel good. Include some fresh fruit and vegetables for energy, zest and zing.
6. Take a luxurious bath or shower. Pamper yourself with gentle fragrances. Treat your body to gentle massage, and all those other things that you don’t normally make time for.
7. Stand naked before a full-length mirror. If you find yourself being judgmental about your body, stop! Send loving, nurturing, positive thoughts to any part of your body that you don’t like. Give yourself permission to explore your body and feel great.
8. Picture yourself in a year, five years, or even ten years from now. See yourself being happy and fulfilled. Imagine even the smallest details of your life, career, relationships, and health. See yourself being how you would like to be. Now say to yourself firmly and clearly in your mind: “I draw easily to myself all that I need”. Repeat twice. Positive thoughts, visualization and affirmation go a long way in creating future positive reality and lifestyle. Start today!
9. Express yourself. Take a blank piece of paper and write. Let the words flow. Write about how you feel, where you are. Write about anything and everything. Your writing does not have to make sense. The action is more important than the end result. Color or draw. Have fun. If you need to scream or release tension, anger and frustration, go ahead. Do it. Let yourself go. Close the drapes or blinds, put on the radio or a favorite CD and dance. Let your body move; find your own natural rhythms.
10. Call a friend. Write a letter. Share time with someone you care about. Do something fun, together or alone. Or do nothing. Just potter around and relax. Always go with what you feel, not what you think you should do.
11. If you are in the mood, take a walk. Enjoy the scenery wherever you are and whatever the weather. If you don’t like to walk, visit the mall or check out a museum or art gallery, just to keep your body and senses flowing and moving for a while. Remember, a change is often as good as a rest.
12. Check out those beautiful places where you live that you never got around to visiting. Be open to be pleasantly surprised and glad you made the effort.
Today really is the first day of the rest of your life. Decide that today will be full of wonder for you. Then go ahead and have a great day!